Typically, patients who receive plastic surgery have certain expectations about the end result. However, unlike most medical procedures, a botched plastic surgery does not necessarily mean a patient has a medical malpractice case.
Just because many (not all) of these procedures are elective, does not mean doctors have less of a duty to the patient to perform the procedure in accordance with accepted medical standards. The difficulty with cosmetic surgery malpractice is the patient cannot file a claim just because they are not satisfied with the results.
Cosmetic surgery comes with serious risks and can have complications that result in life-changing injuries. When a plastic surgeon does not perform a procedure within the acceptable standards of care, the effects can result in the following:
- Permanent disfigurement
- Caving of the surgical site
- Excessive bleeding
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
- Skin irregularities
How Can I Spot a Negligent Plastic Surgeon?
There are approximately two million plastic surgeries performed each year in the U.S., and roughly nine million minimally-invasive procedures performed on patients. That said, if you are interested in having plastic surgery, be on the lookout for the following indicators you are consulting with either an unqualified or negligent plastic surgeon.
Common indicators of medical malpractice for cosmetic surgery include:
- When a non-plastic surgeon performs a cosmetic surgery
- When a surgeon uses a nurse to anesthetize, rather than a qualified anesthesiologist
- A doctor who performs lengthy procedures in offices away from hospitals
- Doctors who do not appear equipped to deal with complications
- Failure to take down a patient’s history
- Doing procedures that the patient has not consented to
- Operating on the wrong part of the body
If you believe any complications from a cosmetic procedure occurred due to negligence, contact a medical malpractice attorney immediately to assess your situation.
Stanley A. Davis is a medical malpractice attorney in Nashville, TN who fights for those who are injured due to medical negligence.
“Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.” James 5:14