Every year, the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health (National COSH) compiles a list of 12 companies that put workers at risk with unsafe practices. In observance of Workers’ Memorial Week, which honors workers who die in workplace accidents, they have released this year’s report. Who made the cut for “Dirty Dozen 2017?”
- Atlantic Drain Services. The company came under fire in October 2016 when two Boston workers in an unsupported trench were buried alive and drowned. As a result, senators in Massachusetts are seeking to increase penalties for corporate manslaughter.
- California Cartage. The Long Beach company caused the death of a driver and had problems with safety violations in California and Georgia, as well as a lack of machine safeguards, faulty brakes and more.
- Dedicated TCS. A worker died in a confined space after the company was cited three times for not fixing the problem.
- Dollar General. Over 100 citations and $1 million in fines for blocked exits, creating a fire risk.
- Environmental Enterprises, Inc. Complete disregard for safety led to a worker’s death in a fiery chemical explosion.
- Fuyao Glass America. Workers were put at risk of cuts and amputations when the company stopped workers from wearing gloves.
- Nissan USA. The company was responsible for five worker deaths in as many years.
- Pilgrim’s Pride. The Colorado company was cited multiple times for OSHA violations, amputations, exposure to toxic chemicals and a worker fatality.
- Transam Trucking. The company involved in the so called “frozen trucker” case, where a driver abandoned his cargo to escape freezing temperatures and was wrongfully terminated.
- Samsung Seoul. A stunning 200+ serious illnesses, 76 deaths and legally dubious practices regarding employee/employer relations.
- Valley Garlic and X-Treme AG, California companies where migrant workers died in illegal transport vehicles. The companies were subject to many federal lawsuits.
These are the 12 worst offenders rated by National COSH, but every day workers around the country are exposed to dangers. If you suffer injury in the workplace, speak to a workplace injury attorney.
Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.”