A car, truck or motorcycle accident can happen in the blink of an eye. Therefore, many people are left flustered following a wreck, making decisions that can lead to further injuries and negative consequences.
A swift and favorable resolution is what you need during this stressful time. The Law Office of Stanley A. Davis is here to help you determine what to do after a car or truck accident. Our 5-star reviews, client testimonials, verdicts and settlements speak for our law firm’s proven record of success. Use our guide below to help you immediately following an accident. You can also request a free legal consultation with our Nashville auto accident lawyer to have your unique situation evaluated.
6 Steps to Take Immediately Following an Auto Accident
The steps you take immediately after you are involved in an accident can significantly help your personal injury case. Consider taking the steps below immediately following an auto accident:
- Call Emergency Services: Regardless of whether anyone appears to be injured, you should contact an ambulance and the police department.
- Do Not Admit Fault: It can be tense after a car wreck. You may be tempted to diffuse the situation by admitting fault. However, you should never apologize after an auto accident, especially if you only have liability insurance. Insurance companies will try to spin your well-meaning apology as an admission of guilt.
- File a Police Report: A full report is usually not available until several days after the accident. However, you should have the officer at the scene give you a report number. It is important to know that even if a police report lists you as at-fault, this does not mean your attorney cannot change the outcome of the case.
- Contact your insurer: While you should contact your insurance company and let them know that you have been in an accident, you need to be cautious about the information you provide, as they can use it against you. We recommend contacting our Nashville car accident attorney before any personal meetings with an insurer.
- Keep a record of medical expenses: When you visit a doctor for treatment, make sure to keep all receipts.
- Contact our attorney in Nashville: Evidence and witness accounts of an accident may become less credible over time. Contact our lawyer as soon as possible.
Understanding How to Speak to an Insurance Company
It is important to know that you will be contacted by not only your insurance company but also the insurance companies of any other parties involved. These companies train their adjusters to collect as much money as possible in premiums and payout as little as possible in claims.
Contacting you as soon as possible, while you are still dealing with the shock of the accident, is one tactic insurance companies use to protect their profits. While you may talk to your insurance company to report the crash before speaking to an experienced car accident lawyer, you should not speak to the other party’s insurance company. Insurance adjusters want you to take a path of least resistance by accepting their initial offer – an offer that is inevitably too low.
By hiring an auto accident lawyer with a track record of favorable verdicts, you open the door to negotiation. This allows you to maximize any avenue of compensation while minimizing risks to your future. Many auto accident cases are resolved through an insurance settlement. However, insurers are more likely to offer you fair compensation if you have a lawyer by your side. To help our firm expedite your case, you should make sure to exchange insurance information with all parties involved directly after the accident.
How An Attorney Can Help You After an Auto Accident
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in an auto accident due to another party’s negligent behavior, you deserve to receive financial compensation for your injuries and other damages. Let an experienced legal representative help you navigate this complicated process. Nashville auto accident attorney Stanley A. Davis can help you understand your legal options after any of the following types of accidents:
At the Law Office of Stanley A. Davis, we aggressively represent our clients throughout each phase of the legal process. To understand more about this process, see our personal injury case timeline.
Below we discuss how an attorney can help in truck accident cases.
Truck Accident Cases
Most truck crashes result from inattention by the trucking company or the truck driver. In both of these situations, you should be able to file a claim for your injuries and damages with the trucking company’s main insurance provider. However, after an accident, representatives from the trucking or insurance company could attempt to settle with victims out of court. This allows them to avoid taking responsibility, often for less than the damages are truly worth. Sometimes, the insurance adjuster may even try to shift blame to you or another party.
Therefore, if a truck driver or trucking company’s negligence caused your accident, it is important to have an attorney who can assist you in the process. Determining fault after a truck accident can produce a healthy settlement offer. For a strong case, certain pieces of evidence may prove essential, including:
- The truck driver’s log book
- Eyewitness statements
- The truck’s “black box”
- Any information regarding previous violations of trucking laws by the company or driver
The only way to fight big trucking companies and their insurance providers is by using physical evidence that supports your truck accident claim. However, the task of gathering evidence can be overlooked. This is especially true when you are dealing with severe injuries, or your family is grieving the loss of a loved one. An accident attorney can take on the burden of collecting this evidence and building your case for you.
Need Help After a Collision in Nashville? Contact Us for Free a Consultation
You need the best representation possible after your motor vehicle accident. At the Law Office of Stanley A. Davis, we pride ourselves in the respectful and swift service we provide in and near Nashville. Call us at (615) 845-6141 or contact us online. Our firm can let you know if you have a case at no cost to you through a free initial consultation.