ADVICE FROM A NASHVILLE INJURY ATTORNEY
The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that over 10 million auto accidents happen in the country every year. The same report states that close to 1000 Tennesseans die every year on the road and even more suffer from catastrophic injuries. Auto accidents have many different causes, including drunk drivers and hazardous road conditions. Although you cannot control the conditions on the roads or the decisions of other drivers, you can take steps towards making sure that you and your vehicle are prepared for whatever you may encounter on the highways in and around Nashville.
ESSENTIAL VEHICLE MAINTENANCE
Although cars are safer than they have ever been, that does not free a vehicle’s owner from performing routine maintenance. No matter if it is a basic, no frills auto or a luxury vehicle, all cars need maintenance over the course of their lives. In addition to extending the life of your vehicle and preserving its value, proper maintenance helps keep your vehicle safe to operate. In order to keep you and your family safe on the road, you should be sure to:
- Replace windshield wipers – In adverse weather conditions, you run the risk of a collision if you don’t have proper road visibility. Replacing the windshield wipers will help ensure that you can see the road.
- Swap out headlights – Similar to the light bulbs in your home, headlights slowly wear out over time. You may be surprised at how bright your headlights are when you replace the bulb.
- Maintain proper tire inflation – The tires ultimately determine how much you are able to control your vehicle. Proper tire pressure will help you control the car if you encounter an adverse situation on the highway.
- Replacing tires when necessary – The price may be painful, but consider the emotional cost of sustaining serious injuries due to a tire blowout. If your tread is wearing thin, you must replace.
- Have your brakes checked – If your brakes have worn out, you will not be able to stop quickly enough when it matters most.
- Prepare an emergency kit – Should you suffer an accident or have to pull over, you will want to have certain items on hand to keep yourself safe while you wait for help. Emergency kits commonly include a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, tire gauge, jumper cables and road flares.
A car mechanic can help you to identify areas of your vehicle that need a tune-up.
Nobody anticipates getting into an auto accident, but they happen every day. If you or your family has suffered serious injuries because of an auto accident, our Nashville injury lawyer can help. Contact our office today for a professional evaluation of your case by a Tennessee injury attorney. Through legal action, you may be able to win justice and compensation for the injuries you received in the collision.