Truck Accident Attorney in Nashville Helping His Neighbors
What Happens in a Semi Underride Truck Accident?
An underride accident with semi truck often involves either a truck running over a passenger vehicle, or the passenger vehicle sliding or being forced underneath the trailer. The nature of the injuries for passenger vehicle occupants in an underride collision can be severe, and our Nashville accident attorney can also file wrongful death claims for families who have lost loved ones in such a crash.
Commercial tractor trailers are required by federal law to have certain protections to reduce the occurrence of underride accidents. Nashville car accident lawyer Stanley A. Davis can investigate to see if your underride accident may have been the result of:
- No taillights or taillight failure — Motorists can be at risk of colliding with trucks if the taillights on trailers are concealed, inoperative, dirty or dim.
- No reflective tape or dirty reflective tape — While new tractors are required to be equipped with reflective tape along the sides and rear of the trailer, some companies have neglected to retrofit older trailers with the tape. Absence of the tape could make a trailer difficult to see at night or during inclement weather.
- Truck improperly parked too close to roadway — Truck drivers should never park commercial trucks on any roadway where the speed limit is greater than 25 mile per hour. There is an exception if a tractor trailer is disabled, but the driver must place warning devices to notify other motorists.
- No protective rear guard or rear guard failure — Rear guards are underride bumper devices designed to prevent passenger vehicles from sliding underneath trailers, but a carrier can be liable if a motorist’s injuries were the result of defective design, faulty installation or the complete absence of such guards.
- Truck backed up or was traveling too slowly —Underride collisions can result when a truck driver fails to notice a passenger vehicle and backs over it. Similarly, there are also cases in which slower-moving semi trucks merge into faster-moving traffic, depriving drivers of necessary time to react properly.
Nashville Underride Accident Attorney Here to Answers Your Questions
Stanley A. Davis has earned numerous verdicts and settlements for victims and families of victims of underride accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in a semi truck accident, contact our Nashville truck accident lawyer at the Law Office of Stanley A. Davis today to set up a free initial consultation.